Dear Pirate Nation,
Welcome to the 2017-2018 School Year. Our theme for 2017-2018 will be: Go Beyond! As we pursue excellence, we must remember that we must oftentimes Go Beyond:
- Fear Personal Agendas Educational Rhetoric Frustration
- Barriers Bias Harmful Policy What’s Required
- Status Quo Failures Met Standard Job Description
- The Way It’s Always Been
The 2017-2018 school year will be one in which we evaluate and implement systems that positively impact teacher performance, student achievement, and district growth. I am a firm believer that every system is perfectly designed to get the results it is achieving. Thus, if we intend to improve student outcomes, we must focus on improving our systems. We will focus on:
- Improving our Systems of Instruction and Academic Supports, especially for our students receiving special education services or identified as language-learners
- Improving our Systems for Attendance Accounting and Drop-out Prevention
- Improving our Systems for Communication and Outreach
- Improving our Systems for Teacher Training and Development
- Improving our Systems for Career and Technical Education
As Chilton ISD strives to become a progressive, tier one institution, each of us must embrace and choose the challenge of change. Irma Tyler-Wood states that “change increases the frequency and depth of organizational conflict.” However, the promise of change must outweigh the comforts and dangers associated with stagnation. As a district, we must embrace our mission to produce globally competitive thinkers. We must embrace a mindset of efficacy and growth. A mind-set in which every board member, administrator, teacher and staff member works to build the collective confidence of the organization. Accordingly, confidence produces effective effort and increased effort leads to development. Finally, we must adapt a method that encourages planning, preparation, engaging transformation and reflection in all processes.
Oliver Wendell Holmes is the author of our thematic quote for next year “A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” As we approach the 2017-2018 school year, we want to continue the Chilton Pirate legacy of excellence in Mission...Mindset...Method by Changing Forward. Let us set our hands to this “good work” and BUILD our students, our school, our community and each other.
Per Aspera Ad Astra,
Brandon K. Hubbard, Superintendent of Schools